Sorry I forgot to do this at the beginning of this month. I was able to purchase my first house halfway through June and I am honestly still not completely unpacked. And, almost as soon as I began to move, ants invaded my space; I honestly feel like they were there before me and I can’t find the stupid anthill… I know it’s out there somewhere.
So before I list my new goals for this quarter, I need to go over the goals I had for the last quarter and see how I did. Are you as worried as I am?
Goals I had set for the second quarter:
- Instagram challenge – I definitely did not do this. In fact I did not do this so much that last quarter I didn’t even know what it was or would entail…. and I still don’t. Oops.
- Finish new draft – I feel like this just showcases how naive I am in the art of novel writing. I didn’t finish it, but I am working on it…. slowly. Between my full time job, my full time plus overtime parenting job, and my new house, I am finding it extremely hard to find any time (or energy, let’s be real) to write. Not to mention (this part is fun), half of the electric in my house doesn’t work and I don’t have internet yet. It’s like I’m in the 90’s again.
- Research Bookbub promotion – I did this! Mostly. I researched into it enough to know I’m definitely not even close to this point, but enough to know that I am definitely going to be doing this. Nothing to lose in this case, although real experience could change that opinion real fast.
- Research Editors – I did do this a little, but it got me no closer than it did while I was researching for them months ago. I am having the hardest time trying to find one that feels like a good fit. At least I’m not putting this one off until the last minute, considering how much trouble I’m having.
- Pay off all my debt – I’m still at the point I was then. It’s still on my mind (all the time), but I’ve decided to watch it for now. I’ve been getting small hints that this last one is in the process of being sold to someone else, but I’m not sure. That and how I just bought a house put that on the back burner because now I’m broke.
- Get a mortgage and a house – I halfway did this. I have a house. But it’s more of a rent to own kind of situation than a mortgage situation. Which works well for me. For now at least.
Three out of six ain’t bad (…. I want you, I need you, but there ain’t no way I’m ever gonna love you…). If you don’t know Meatloaf, we can’t be friends.
Third quarter goals! (I’ll admit, I did zero planning on this)
- FINISH NEW ROUGH DRAFT. I have to sit down and come up with some strategies to get this nonsense done. Period.
- Find and join some writing communities. I need writer friends. I fee like a lone wolf if my current group of friends and family. I need someone who can slap me silly when I cry about how awful I am at making words work. That and I would really like a critique partner (wink, wink).
- Join Patreon. I only found out about this site less than a month ago. But I feel it’s worth a shot. In case you have no idea what it is, it’s a crowdfunding type site but instead of funding for one goal, patrons can donate a set amount (set by them) to donate every month for something/someone that they wish to support. And like other crowdfunding sites, these patrons [can] get something in return. I guess the rewards aren’t required, but out of the dozens of profiles I looked at, none of them offered zero rewards. I plan on doing rewards, I just don’t know what they’re going to be yet. I am going to sign up for this though and I will let all of you know the instant I do.
- Find an editor. I’m starting to think that the best course for me to take is to look for a freelancing editor. I don’t have any extraordinary editing or photoshop skills so I can’t do any skill trading or bargaining, but I still want to get a freelancer. I think I’ll take a look at Mark Coker’s (Smashwords) list of people he recommends for those kinds of this.
- Create a book club on Goodreads. I don’t plan on this club being super active, I’m thinking only one book a month, but I think it would be fun. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.
I believe that’s all I’ll do for this quarter. I don’t feel confident I’ll have the time to do more than that. Especially right now my priority is ant extermination and getting my electric fixed. Til next time!